This is the personal blog of Ian Ker, who was Councillor for the South Ward of the Town of Vincent from 1995 to 2009. I have been a resident of this area since 1985. This blog was originally conceived as a way of letting residents of Vincent know what I have been doing and sharing thoughts on important issues. I can now use it to sound off about things that concern me.

If you want to contact me, my e-mail is still ian_ker@hotmail.com or post a comment on this blog.

To post a comment on this blog, select the individual post on which you wish to comment, by clicking on the title in the post or in the list to the left of the blog, and scroll down to the 'Post a Comment' box at the foot.

Search This Blog

Saturday, October 17, 2009

Thank you…

…to all those who voted for me in the election. Unfortunately there weren't enough of you to get me back onto Council.

I have (mainly) enjoyed the past fourteen and a half years, although there were times when I wondered why any sane person would do it, and I will miss being involved in the community in that way.

On the other hand, I get my life back. I might even get my front fence rebuilt before it finally collapses.

To all the new Councillors - good luck. I do wonder if you realise what you have let yourselves in for! It is a lot more than two Council meetings a month.

To the new Council as a whole - I hope you continue to be genuinely Vincent, with our unique way of doing things.

To the Town's Administration and staff - thank you for all your support over the years.

I live east of the Administration Centre, so I can't ride off into the sunset. Perhaps it is more fitting, anyway, in terms of getting my life back, to ride off towards the sunrise.

2 comments:

  1. Ian, I am disappointed to learn you were not re-elected. While I don't always agree with your opinions (for example - on parallel walk phases at traffic lights) I respect your experience and knowledge and the wisdom you have generally brought to local traffic issues in particular. That said, perhaps there were times when your apparent efforts to keep open lines of communication to 'Team Catania' lost you some votes, but I am only guessing. Perhaps some more direct challenge to some of the more egregious antics of the mayor in particular might have prevented this. I look forward to the conduct of Council with this election's apparent changing the balance of power. It had got to a point where this interested owner/resident thought it was a waste of time appealing to logic and fairness. Team Catania's treatment of the streetscapes policy a classic example. Best wishes. VW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your input and wisdom at council will be sadly missed.
    Well done. Few people would realise the massive sacrifices you and your family have made over the entire life of the Town of Vincent.
    Great job. Very warm regards
    Noel

    ReplyDelete