This is the personal blog of Ian Ker, who was Councillor for the South Ward of the Town of Vincent from 1995 to 2009. I have been a resident of this area since 1985. This blog was originally conceived as a way of letting residents of Vincent know what I have been doing and sharing thoughts on important issues. I can now use it to sound off about things that concern me.

If you want to contact me, my e-mail is still ian_ker@hotmail.com or post a comment on this blog.

To post a comment on this blog, select the individual post on which you wish to comment, by clicking on the title in the post or in the list to the left of the blog, and scroll down to the 'Post a Comment' box at the foot.

Search This Blog

Friday, September 20, 2013

Been Here Before, James

Perth Voice, 21st September 2013. Click to enlarge
Back on 30th March 2008, I drew attention to the issue of school overcrowding in Vincent (Where Will They Go To School?) and expressed my view that the answer lay in imaginative incorporation of a new school into the Oxford Centre redevelopment, where Council owns 2 hectares of undeveloped land (car parks) - and on which the City of Perth currently has its beady eyes as a $50 million asset.

I don't believe it lies in getting rid of the Schools of Isolated and Distance Education, which ironically occupy the site and some of the buildings of the now-closed Leederville Primary School, as the buildings, configuration and land area are not suitable for a modern primary school.

Moreover, the staff employed by the Schools of Isolated and Distance Education contribute to the daytime population of Leederville and help support the businesses there.

Unfortunately, the redevelopment of the Oxford Centre has been put on hold because of the economic climate. I put it to you, James, that this time should be used to work out how best to use that redevelopment opportunity to create an innovative approach to primary education for the 21st century.

No comments:

Post a Comment