This is the personal blog of Ian Ker, who was Councillor for the South Ward of the Town of Vincent from 1995 to 2009. I have been a resident of this area since 1985. This blog was originally conceived as a way of letting residents of Vincent know what I have been doing and sharing thoughts on important issues. I can now use it to sound off about things that concern me.

If you want to contact me, my e-mail is still ian_ker@hotmail.com or post a comment on this blog.

To post a comment on this blog, select the individual post on which you wish to comment, by clicking on the title in the post or in the list to the left of the blog, and scroll down to the 'Post a Comment' box at the foot.

Search This Blog

Monday, May 26, 2014

People Have The Power

The Communities Action Alliance is a reminder to me and, I hope, to others that there are people who care and are willing to do something about issues they believe are important.

Some people know that I am a great fan of 1960s protest songs, but I just came across a song from 1988 that says things to me about how this issue has galvanised people into action and re-awoken the belief that "People Have The Power".
Performed by Patti Smith

Sample lyrics below. I particularly like the lines about "the power to dream, to rule/to wrestle the earth from fools". And notice how the chorus morphs from 'people have the power' to 'we have the power' - powerful stuff.

Well I was dreamin' in my dreamin'
God knows a pure view
As I lay down into my sleepin'
And I commit my dream with you

People have the power
People have the power
People have the power
People have the power

The power to dream, to rule
To wrestle the earth from fools
But it's decreed the people rule
But it's decreed the people rule

Listen, I believe everythin' we dream
Can come to pass through our union
We can turn the world around
We can turn the earth's revolution

We have the power
People have the power
People have the power
People have the power

The power to dream, to rule
To wrestle the earth from fools
But it's decreed the people rule
But it's decreed the people rule

We have the power
We have the power
People have the power
We have the power


Writer(s): Fred Smith, Patti Smith
Copyright: Druse Music Inc., Stratium Music Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment