This is the personal blog of Ian Ker, who was Councillor for the South Ward of the Town of Vincent from 1995 to 2009. I have been a resident of this area since 1985. This blog was originally conceived as a way of letting residents of Vincent know what I have been doing and sharing thoughts on important issues. I can now use it to sound off about things that concern me.

If you want to contact me, my e-mail is still ian_ker@hotmail.com or post a comment on this blog.

To post a comment on this blog, select the individual post on which you wish to comment, by clicking on the title in the post or in the list to the left of the blog, and scroll down to the 'Post a Comment' box at the foot.

Search This Blog

Monday, September 11, 2017

NOT Michael Sutherland for Perth

I am reminded by former Mt Lawley MLA, Michael Sutherland, standing for City of Perth Council that he once said to my daughter about me (when I was (successfully) campaigning against Barnett's local government so-called reform), that it would be better if I went away and played bowls. 

I might say the same about him, but that would be an insult to all those (young as well as old) who enjoy playing bowls - which obviously didn't bother Sutherland when he was suggesting that I "go away" and do so.

On the subject of insults (this time to electors of the City of Perth), what about truth in political advertising? 

Truth in Advertising: An Independent Voice?

Sutherland spruiks himself as "an independent voice", but he was a Liberal MLA before the last WA election and just a couple of months ago was seeking to be replacement Liberal senator for Chris Back who retired for family reasons. The fact that he invited Peta Credlin, the former chief of staff for ousted Liberal leader Tony Abbot, to Perth for a fundraiser at his Mt Lawley branch (http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/former-wa-liberal-doesnt-believe-peta-credlin-invite-will-damage-his-senate-bid-20170705-gx59ua.html) should tell us something about where he sits in the Liberal Party spectrum.


Unlike his inner city counterpart, Eleni Evangel (MLA for Perth, 2013-2017), Sutherland did not distance himself from the Liberal-One Nation preference deal. Whereas Ms Evangel said: "I do not support One Nation or their policies" and she had “no time whatsoever for intolerance or discrimination of any form". All Michael Sutherland is reported as saying was that he "did not believe the deal alienated voters". [http://www.communitynews.com.au/guardian-express/news/mt-lawley-and-perth-liberal-members-have-differing-views-on-preference-deal-with-one-nation]

Truth in Advertising: Will The Real Michael Sutherland Show Himself?

I don't normally comment on people's appearance (being no picture of sartorial elegance, myself), but, while on the subject of lack of truth in political advertising, compare the picture Sutherland is using for his facebook page (which appears to be the one used for lord knows how long while he was an MLA) with the reality revealed in his diatribe about homeless (mainly aboriginal) people and Wellington Square.



No comments:

Post a Comment