This is the personal blog of Ian Ker, who was Councillor for the South Ward of the Town of Vincent from 1995 to 2009. I have been a resident of this area since 1985. This blog was originally conceived as a way of letting residents of Vincent know what I have been doing and sharing thoughts on important issues. I can now use it to sound off about things that concern me.

If you want to contact me, my e-mail is still ian_ker@hotmail.com or post a comment on this blog.

To post a comment on this blog, select the individual post on which you wish to comment, by clicking on the title in the post or in the list to the left of the blog, and scroll down to the 'Post a Comment' box at the foot.

Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Thanks to Chair of the LGAB

My thanks to Cr Mel Congerton, Chair of the Local Government Advisory Board, who phoned me in response to an email I sent him about the conflict of interest issue.

He assured me that the Board was operating entirely in accordance with Schedule 2.5, cl 8, para 7 of the Local Government Act (which states: (7) Subject to any order under subclause (8), a member is disqualified from acting where the matter being considered or inquired into by the Advisory Board is a matter relating to a local government of which the member is a member, employee or elector.) and that no Board members had participated in deliberations or consultations affecting an area where the member is an elected member, employee or elector.

I was less reassured by what he said in respect of the systematic conflict of interest of the Board member and deputy who represent the Department of Local Government and Communities, which he said was dealt with in the Act. However, I have been unable to find any such provision in the Act. Cr Congerton promised to email the reference to me - watch this blog for updates.

When you look at the Local Government Act, it might also be that the Chair of the LGAB also has a systematic conflict of interest with respect to the Minister's proposals (and other proposals that complement or conflict with them) as the Chair is appointed solely on the nomination of the Minister.

As I have previously stated in this blog ('Conflicts of Interest?'), in drawing attention to this, I am not in any way implying any lack of integrity in any of the members of the LGAB. I am merely drawing attention to clear conflicts of interest and expressing the hope that these will be dealt with in the same open and transparent way as is required of local governments themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment