This is the personal blog of Ian Ker, who was Councillor for the South Ward of the Town of Vincent from 1995 to 2009. I have been a resident of this area since 1985. This blog was originally conceived as a way of letting residents of Vincent know what I have been doing and sharing thoughts on important issues. I can now use it to sound off about things that concern me.

If you want to contact me, my e-mail is still ian_ker@hotmail.com or post a comment on this blog.

To post a comment on this blog, select the individual post on which you wish to comment, by clicking on the title in the post or in the list to the left of the blog, and scroll down to the 'Post a Comment' box at the foot.

Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Debate is Essential for Democracy

Click to enlarge
As one with Scottish ancestry (albeit a long way back), I have been following the independence referendum with some interest. One of the most fascinating aspects of it has been the extent to which it has revived genuine political debate - something that has been lacking both in the UK and Australia for far too long.

Duncan MacLaren has an illuminating piece in today's 'Eureka Street' that, amongst other things, highlights that bigger is not necessarily better - small countries often have less inequality than large ones.

Tony Abbott, of course, prefers bigger to better - not that it's any of his or Australia's business what the Scots want or do.

But I particularly like MacLaren's last comment that "the process we have undergone … will have a lasting effect on the life of the nation and far beyond our borders, acting as an inspiration for democratic change through talk".

If I have one hope out of the current shambles of a process for local government so-called reform in WA, it is that, whatever the outcome of the court case, government will no longer take the rest of us for granted.

That hope will be more readily realised if the legal action is successful, but the expressed strength of community outrage should put our elected representatives on notice even if that particular battle is not won.

1 comment:

  1. This is very interesting, You're a very skilled blogger.

    I have joined your rss feed and look forward to seeking more of your excellent post.

    Also, I have shared your website in my social networks!


    Also visit my web-site - cindy crawford skin care reviews

    ReplyDelete