This is the personal blog of Ian Ker, who was Councillor for the South Ward of the Town of Vincent from 1995 to 2009. I have been a resident of this area since 1985. This blog was originally conceived as a way of letting residents of Vincent know what I have been doing and sharing thoughts on important issues. I can now use it to sound off about things that concern me.

If you want to contact me, my e-mail is still ian_ker@hotmail.com or post a comment on this blog.

To post a comment on this blog, select the individual post on which you wish to comment, by clicking on the title in the post or in the list to the left of the blog, and scroll down to the 'Post a Comment' box at the foot.

Search This Blog

Thursday, October 17, 2013

A Case Of Mistaken Identity

I thank Reece Harley for phoning me to apologise for misattributing the remark about City of Perth Councillors being afraid of having to doorknock if they were to have 22,000 extra voters.

He makes a very valid point that it is difficult to doorknock people who live in secure apartment complexes.

But the comment from John Carey was, I believe, aimed at current City of Perth Councillors - they are the ones who have decided they only want the asset-rich, not the people-rich, parts of Vincent. Reece is a fresh voice seeking election and might well have a different view.

Whilst secure complexes are on the increase in Vincent, they are not yet an excuse for the lack of candidate visibility that has characterised this election in Vincent. I live in the South Ward, where there are eight candidates standing for election to two vacancies, but I have only received any election material from one candidate and only seen anything other than a 'vote for me' ad in the Perth Voice about a small number of others.

So, despite my high hopes for a high voter turnout for the plebiscite, the low turnout so far is perhaps not surprising, as candidates don't seem to be very interested in getting elected.

No comments:

Post a Comment