This is the personal blog of Ian Ker, who was Councillor for the South Ward of the Town of Vincent from 1995 to 2009. I have been a resident of this area since 1985. This blog was originally conceived as a way of letting residents of Vincent know what I have been doing and sharing thoughts on important issues. I can now use it to sound off about things that concern me.

If you want to contact me, my e-mail is still ian_ker@hotmail.com or post a comment on this blog.

To post a comment on this blog, select the individual post on which you wish to comment, by clicking on the title in the post or in the list to the left of the blog, and scroll down to the 'Post a Comment' box at the foot.

Search This Blog

Thursday, October 10, 2013

Why Recount Only the Donkey Vote?

I am pleased to see that the WA Senate vote is being recounted, given the very slim margin at one stage in the distribution of preferences, but I am forced to ask why this should only be for the 'above the line' votes.

Are the votes of those of us who choose to make an individual choice, rather than leaving it to party apparatchiks, of less importance? We've seen what strange (even ridiculous) outcomes above-the-line voting has achieved, so why give favourable treatment to those who use it?

Does this decision of the Electoral Commissioner create two classes of voter who are treated differently?

Does this partial recount represent discrimination, in that some of us are being denied a voting right extended to others?

No comments:

Post a Comment