This is the personal blog of Ian Ker, who was Councillor for the South Ward of the Town of Vincent from 1995 to 2009. I have been a resident of this area since 1985. This blog was originally conceived as a way of letting residents of Vincent know what I have been doing and sharing thoughts on important issues. I can now use it to sound off about things that concern me.

If you want to contact me, my e-mail is still ian_ker@hotmail.com or post a comment on this blog.

To post a comment on this blog, select the individual post on which you wish to comment, by clicking on the title in the post or in the list to the left of the blog, and scroll down to the 'Post a Comment' box at the foot.

Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

The Price Of Democracy Is Eternal Vigilance

I have been struck over the past few days by how well Barnett and Simpson have manoeuvred local councils into feeling they now have to defend positions they were bullied into during the process to-date. This prevents, in many but thankfully not all cases, their considering how it was they find themselves in this position and what they might do to remedy that situation.

I can do no better than quote one of the most respected western philosophers, John Stuart Mill, who stated, in 1867:

"Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends than that good men should look on and do nothing".

I might also paraphrase the saying usually attributed to Thomas Jefferson that "the price of freedom is eternal vigilance". Recent and current events demonstrate conclusively that the price of democracy is eternal vigilance.

No comments:

Post a Comment